Sunday, February 2, 2014

Frank Lloyd Wright....one of the most famous architects among the architect community and among the non architect community, not necessarily for the best work but the most well known work. He was my introduction to the field, and it wasn't until history classes that I understood the "bad" side of FLW. To be given his book for the carving project is almost ironic. I admired him in the past and then realized the many flaws that came with his ego. His client seemed to mean nothing to him, their opinions and needs didn't matter. He design the home or building he wanted and thats what they got, no matter what the client said. He was always right.


That attitude now a days would definitely not get the average architect anywhere, and I intend to care about my client and form a relationship with them. What I design or help to design will become the place where they make memories and grow into their future selves, whether they realize it or not. I think that is what FLW did not realize or didn't care to engage in. Where events and memories occur is nearly as important as where they happen, and while FLW was famous and remains famous to this day, I wonder how much further he could have gone if he cared to recognize the impact his buildings had on peoples' lives and emotions. Now maybe I have interoperated his life and opinions differently then they were in reality, but I see a miss opportunity.

Im working on a way to incorporate all of this into my carving, but I'm thinking of carving on the page agent to a profile photo of FLW. Possibly an edited version of an FLW window carved with a single pane that is carved all the way through the book and out the back cover, symbolizing his connection and continuous hold on future and current architects. FLW never wanted to be part of a movement or a style. He saw his architecture as standing alone, and because of that I am not quite sure what he would think about his "styles" hold on architecture.....

No comments:

Post a Comment